Sunday, February 19, 2012

To the Zoo Spiral Book Project

Our 6 x 8 Blank Project Book was created, per customer request, for the little ones in the household to have a project book of their very own.  While I no longer have any little ones running around my home, I wanted to create a book as a display for our table at the upcoming Homeschooling Works Book Fair.

While I love some the gorgeous custom books our customers have made, I tend to need something already designed.  So, I headed over to Homeschool Share to see what I could find.  Since I wanted a book for younger kids, I clicked over to the Level One Toddlers and Preschoolers lapbooks and found an adorable lapbook based on Eric Carle's 1,2,3 to the Zoo book. You can find the lapbook here.

Since the original design was for a folder, I needed to adjust the size to utilize this for a 6 x 8 book.  I found that if I printed the images at 50%, it was just perfect.  The cover was the exact size I needed and no need to cut it down the middle like you would for a folder cover.
As I was looking through my supplies, I discovered some paper with a cloud background.  It got my brain thinking on what I could do to jazz it up a bit.
With some green and black card stock added to the mix, it was super easy to make a railroad track for the train pockets to travel on.
I had a friend's Cricut at my disposal and she had just the cartridges I needed. I put the number on the opposite page, along with die cut animals to match the one in the train car.

Younger kids could easily help glue the large pieces on to the book.  Number recognition and counting practice can take place during assembly. After all 10 train cars are completed, the book will have enough pages left to have your child add more counting pages of their own design. When completed, they will have a special book of their very own.

No comments: